TORC Top Tips For Tenants: How To Turn Off Your Water Supply

Are you confident that you know how to turn off the water supply to your home in case of emergency?

This Month’s #TORCTopTipsForTenants provides information on the internal stop tap and where to find it. It is important to know where the inside stop valve is for your home in case you ever need to turn off the water in the event of a plumbing issue or major leak.

Inside stop valves can look different but they all have the same purpose. In homes, they are usually located under the kitchen sink.

There is also an external stop tap which is usually located near the boundary of a premises under a small cover, about the size of a CD case. External stop taps are used to isolate the Mains water supply to your home. Ideally it should only be used by a qualified plumber or by the water supplier.

If you have noticed water damage or suspect a leak or a burst water pipe, turn off the water supply using the internal stop tap and then contact the TORC Repairs team through the Helpdesk on 01-4852020.