Guides for Utilities

Choosing your Energy Provider

Tenants are required to select an energy provider for electricity and/or gas when a tenancy agreement has been signed. A tenancy letting checklist will be provided in your tenancy pack and will include details of your MPRN & GPRN numbers and the meter reads for your property. These details will be required by your new energy provider to set up an account in your name.

It is important to set up an account with an energy provider immediately after signing your lease agreement even though you may not be moving into your property straight away. This will prevent a possible supply disconnection charge by the utility’s supplier.

Picking the right gas and electricity deal could save you considerable amounts of money each year so it is worth doing your research and shopping around for the best possible package before you commit yourself to a particular provider. Some comparable energy providers websites can be found below

Estimated meter readings can get your usage completely wrong. To find out if your bill is estimated, look for ‘estimate’ or an ‘e’ written next to the number of units you have used. If your supplier has estimated your bill, take your own meter reading, and give it to your energy supplier – they will send you a new, correct bill.
Some providers offer better deals if you choose a dual fuel package therefore it is important to compare suppliers to get the best unit price. Some of the main energy suppliers in Ireland are –
Board Gais, – 01 611 01 51
Electric Ireland – 01 852 9534
SSE Airtricity -1850818110
Energia – 1850 300 700
Pre-Pay Power – 1800 910 310
Panda Power – 01 829 8989
Flo Gas – 041 987 4874
Pinergy – 0818 363 749

Types of Meters
There are several different types of meters available, there will be one meter which will be applicable to your property –
1/ Standard Meter Read – Make a note of the number, reading from left to right. Please ignore the figures in red or surrounded by a red box.

2/ Day Night Meter – You will find that these meters may have numbers ‘1’ and ‘2’ or the Roman numerals ‘I’ and ‘II’ beside each register referring to Night and Day, respectively.
The night charges apply between 11 p.m. and 8.a.m. (wintertime) and between midnight and 9.a.m. (summertime).

3/ Electronic Meter – To take a meter read, you will need to press 9 on the keypad and your meter usage will then be shown.

4/ Pre-Pay Meter – To check your balance, press 111 on the keypad. Press the number 2 button to check how much electricity you have used in the previous few days and button 1 shows how much credit you have left

5/ Gas Meter Read – Make a note of the number, reading from left to right. Please ignore the figures in red or surrounded by a red box

Many suppliers offer great, usually, contract-length discounted rates and sign-up incentives to attract new customers with these discounted rates typically last for a period of 12 months. These discounts make for some significant savings on your energy bills therefore it is important to shop around when your contract period lapses.

Please note: Should you wish to install a pay as you go electricity / gas meter, all removal charges of the meter will have to be paid by you the tenant should you wish to have it removed or if your tenancy ends.

90% of a washing machine’s energy expenditure is spent heating the water, so if you wash your clothes at 30-40°C you are saving a significant amount of money.

A lot of electricity is used in lighting your home, but you can use less energy by investing in specific energy-saving lightbulbs, which are readily available. You will not lose any light, and you will save money too.


Home Contents Insurance

While TORC Housing insures the property you are living in, you are responsible for insuring your own belongings. This insurance is called either “Contents Insurance” or “Renter’s Contents Insurance”.

Unfortunately, accidents and breakages do happen in the home: there could be a roof leak, a burst pipe causing a flood and even a fire. All of these can result in catastrophic damage to your belongings. Thankfully, most things are replaceable and if you have contents insurance you will not have to worry about the cost.

We advise all our tenants to look in to getting Contents Insurance as soon as they move into their new home. The most cost-effective way to buy insurance is online, as companies often give a discount when you sign up this way. If you do not have internet access at home, your local library will have computers and internet.

There are several insurance companies servicing the Irish market and you should always compare a few quotes to get the best value. An example of these is*:

Company Website Phone Number
Allianz Insurance 01 448 4848
Chill Insurance 01 400 3400
Axa 1890 247 365
Zurich 1890 400 300

*TORC Housing is in no way affiliated with any insurance company

Contents insurance will cost on average €15 per month but could save you thousands.

Anti-Social Behaviour

Anti-social behaviour directly affects the wellbeing of other people and has a negative impact on communities. When people think about anti-social behaviour, they usually think of criminal behaviour such as drug dealing, any behaviour that causes fear, danger, or injury to other people, such as threats or racist abuse. But anti-social behaviour can also be considered as an action or person that persistently disturbs other people’s peaceful enjoyment of their home, for example by playing loud music, continual parties, or other continual noise disturbances. TORC Sustainable Housing is committed to tackling anti-social behaviour to create safer and better communities for our tenants. Tenants have an obligation not to behave within the dwelling, or in the vicinity of it, in a way that is anti-social or allow other occupiers of, or visitors to the dwelling to behave within it or in the vicinity in such a way.

Anti-social behaviour could be regarded as:

– Committing an offence which is reasonably likely to directly affect the wellbeing of a member of your household or the public.

– Behaviour that causes or could cause fear, danger, injury, damage, or loss to any member of your household, a person contracted by TORC Sustainable Housing or a member of the public.

– Persistent behaviour that prevents or interferes with the peaceful occupation by a member of your household or neighbours.

Examples of anti-social behaviour include:

– The sale, supply, and possession of illegal drugs.

– Illegal drinking, gambling, or prostitution.

– Harassment on the grounds of religion or community background, race, or ethnic origin, disability or sexual orientation.

– Any activity that causes a danger, injury or fear to any person living in the vicinity.

– Excessive noise or loud music.

– Uncontrolled animals.

– Rubbish dumping or damage to property including graffiti.

– Unruly children.

– Keeping a certain breed of dog or allowing someone to visit you with such a dog.  (Your Housing Services Coordinator will advise you of restricted breeds)

– Annoyance and harassment (including domestic violence) of any person residing, visiting, or engaged in a lawful activity in the locality.

– Breaches of apartment scheme ‘House Rules’.


Action Against Anti-Social Behaviour

Initial incidents of Anti-Social Behaviour can be reported in the following ways:

It is important that TORC are provided with the following information:

TORC will record the incident and acknowledge the report, TORC may need to obtain further details from the victim either in person or by telephone to agree a plan of action with the victim. Whether possible, we will engage with the respondent and interview them, which may lead to:

TORC will provide assistance to the victim and take appropriate action against the perpetrator where it is within our control. Everything will be treated in confidence and we will also take care of any urgent repair caused by the incident. We will also endeavour to keep you informed of any progress.

What can you do?

In some situations, it may be possible to resolve the matter by engaging directly with the perpetrator and reach an agreement with them. Where the behaviour is a dispute between two residents, mediation may also resolve the problem. Your HSCO can assist in accessing mediation to reach a resolution. Sometimes it may be necessary to report the issue to the Gardai and we can assist you in doing so.


Be assured that all reports of anti-social behaviour will be treated in confidence. Though we will need to know your name when you report the anti-social behaviour this will remain confidential and will not be shared with anyone. If issues remain unresolved and action must be taken through the Residential Tenancy Board the details of your complaint, but not necessarily your personal information, will be made known to the offending party as part of the exchange of evidence.

Reporting Anti-Social Behaviour

It is our view that everyone should be able to enjoy their home and feel happy and safe in their community. Please report anti-social behaviour. Crime stoppers freephone confidential number 1800 25 00 25 Garda Confidential freephone number 1800 666 111

Anti-social behaviour and Termination of Tenancy

Engaging in anti-social behaviour is a breach of tenants’ obligations and TORC Housing can act against perpetrators to terminate their tenancy. In the event of serious offences, TORC  can seek possession of the property through the District Court. In other cases, TORC can may serve a warning notice allowing time to remedy breach and whether the breach will continue then a notice of termination may be served.